Sunscreen and flip-flops are back in the mix, and I’m currently wearing white pants. That can only mean one thing: it’s summer!
– I have tan lines.
– I ate ice cream twice on Sunday.
– The a/c is on in my bedroom.
– I can’t remember the last time I turned my oven on.
– The ocean is warm enough to swim in.
This year, I’m headed out of town for a big chunk of July. I’m sort of sad, as this is my absolute favorite time of year in Boston, but I can’t complain too much, because I’m going to be hanging out on Spain’s Costa Brava. Lots of good food and beach time ahead.
Sunset/ Fenway/ the new grill/ storm coming
As summer goes, I’m already a bit ahead of the game, thanks to a mild winter and warm spring. I’ve caught a few fish, eaten lobsters, kayaked, visited Fenway, and fired up the grill. But there are still a few things I want to make sure I do while the weather is gorgeous.
1. Take a surf lesson. I did this last summer, but I still can’t surf. I’d love to spend a few days with a board and figure out what I’m doing.
2. Go stand up paddle boarding. A place by my house rents them, so this should be pretty easy. Anyone want to join me?
cod & kayak… wouldn’t that be a great name for a restaurant?
3. Catch a fish in my kayak. I’ve been fishing, and I’ve been kayaking this summer, but I have yet to successfully to combine the two.
4. Make buttermilk ice cream. So good. Why haven’t I done this already? Actually, this one should simply state, “Make more ice cream.” It’s all good.
5. Can something. I’ve made blueberry jam a few times, but neglected to last summer. Here’s hoping to a bumper blueberry crop in August, and making some excellent jam.
BAA 10k/ surfing at Hampton beach/
best license plate ever
6. Bike to work more. I’ve done this a few times this year, but I’d like to make it a habit. The seven mile ride beats the red line any day. Oh, and did I mention my bike has a cup holder? Win.
7. Keep running. When the dog days hit, it’s tempting to yield to the impulse to drink cold beer and lay in the sun all day. But with a Reach the Beach relay and half marathon scheduled for fall, I need to make sure to get some miles in.
Will run for cheeseburgers.
8. Grill something low and slow. I’d like to do some Carolina-style ribs. And maybe a pork shoulder? Probably not all at once.
9. Make smoked fish. This also requires one to be successful at catching fish. But I love smoked fish, and would like to make it myself.
What’s on your summer bucket list?